Saturday, November 3, 2012

Home-made Scent-Free Laundry Detergent Recipe

Home-made Scent-Free Laundry Detergent Recipe


I have scouted about a number of websites until I came up with this recipe, and after a few attempts, this is the best I came up with. The recipe below is for ONE GALLON, but I usually make about 5 Gallons at a time and find for the two of us, myself and my fifteen-year-old-son, that I am only having to make it about twice a year!! I am not complaining about that, nor the savings!! 

I also use this same recipe for my Dishwasher detergent. When I make up the laundry detergent recipe I top up my container for dishwasher detergent as well before I take the laundry soap downstairs.

 

Ingredients:


Liquid Soap – You could use Castille Soap, but I actually used some leftover unscented, environmentally-friendly Laundry soap that I had left, and it worked a charm. Imagine if 1 cup of this produces approximately ONE GALLON [16 cups] of Homemade Laundry Detergent how cost effective that is! Cheaper than Castille, although feel free to use that instead.

Borax – Borax [aka sodium borate, sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate] is a NATURALLY OCCURING mineral deposit produced by the repeated evaporation of seasonal lakes. It is is not acutely toxic, but it may cause irritation. “Sufficient exposure to borax dust can cause respiratory and skin irritation. Ingestion may cause gastrointestinal distress including nausea, persistent vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. Effects on the vascular system and brain include headaches and lethargy, but are less frequent.” [Wikipedia Information on Borax]

Washing Soda - Make your own Washing Soda.

 

Home-made Laundry Soap Recipe:

Stir: In a large bowl the following ingredients, stir until dissolved:
  • 2 cups warm Water
  • 1/3 cup Salt
  • 1 cup Baking Soda [or Washing Soda]
TRANSFER: Transfer the contents of the bowl to a One Gallon+ Container and fill almost to the top with warm water.

ADD & Stir:
  • 1 cup Liquid Soap
  • 1 cup Borax [optional]
______________________
One Gallon = 32 Loads - ½ Cup per Laundry Load

2 comments:

  1. This is what I use too, though I use it mixed together dry without the water and the bar castille soap. I've yet to try the mixture with water. I'll give your recipe a try ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am too lazy to shred all that soap!! But you are right it could be done dry just as easily... I guess, because a lot of my washed are cold water, I prefer the liquid so that everything is already dissolved. :D Thanks for your input!!

    ReplyDelete